Saturday, December 5, 2009

Daily Routine

We tend to get bored with doing the same thing every day. But if we just become open and let things flow, things change in the "routine". Even when the sun rises everyday we think it's "another day". But the day always unfolds differently if we are open.


For me, a way to illustrate this point is as follows:

"I" teach yoga classes. A couple of days ago, when I started the class, I inspired to ask the students what they wanted to do in the class for that day. A student wanted to do the headstand, also referred to as sirshasana. Mind you, most of the students there that day have never done one. I asked him could he do a headstand. He then attempted to do one, however, he tumbled safely out of it. A few other students did it successfully in various stages. So I proceeded to demonstrate the basic head stand and of course most people were thinking "I can't do that". The suggestion of the headstand reminded my how I started out this year 2009 with the desire for more students to learn this posture that reverses the circulation in the body and wakes one up.

I took the class through sun salutations, surya namaskar, and other postures to open up the body. And low and behold, near the ending of the class I came back to demonstrating and having the students learn basic initial set up for the headstand. I was amazed at how the "creative energy" led me back to where I began, or my intention to have the class practice the beginning of headstand (as I could sometimes be lead on a tangent to other postures).

After the class, the same student came back to say that maybe he should have suggested something that everyone could do. I told him that it was perfect the way it unfolded. That we all need to go beyond what everyone else could do to be stimulated to move on, instead of getting stuck in our practice. He agreed. I thanked him again because it also stimulated me to be open and a channel for the energy to flow to have a "different" class in the "daily routine" of classes.

It is in the practice, the daily routine, like the sun rising everyday, that we learn, become open and gain new insight. Hopefully we all get up after a tumble and continue to rise not taking our daily routine for granted.

See related posts:



http://www.bometernally.com/



2 comments:

  1. Very astute observation. Though we may be doing the same thing as yesterday, that was then and this is now! When one is able to fully be in the moment, everything becomes brand new. The joy of just being can shine through any routine. Focus does indeed determine one's life experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with "When one is able to fully be in the moment, everything becomes brand new."

    Namaste C.Om

    ReplyDelete